Sunday, May 6, 2012

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Oh my goodness this book was amazing!!!!

It is set in a futuristic Chicago, where when you reach the age of 16 you have to choose which faction to live with for the rest of your life. You take a test, and the faction (which is basically a group of people with similar values) that is most similar to your personality is given to you, and most of the time you go with that faction. Sometimes it is not always the faction you grow up in.

So what happens when you get more than one faction from the test?

This means you are Divergent.

This story was so amazing, I literally could not put it down. (Don't start reading this if you have a test or important homework assignment due the next day) it was packed with action and amazing scenes.

It was written amazingly well and it reminds me of the hunger games in the way that it is in the future and will definitely become a big hit. It's part of a trilogy and I just read the second book yesterday. It was just as good as the first and I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. I. Love. This. Book.

    I was literally sad when I finished. I remember the night I was done I has some extra free time so my immediate thought was "I should read more Divergent" until I realized I had finished the book and I wanted to cry.

    I'm pretty sure it's one of my favorite books, which is not something I say about a lot of books (something I reserve solely for The Host, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and anything written by Michael Grant.)

    It was absolutely phenomenal. the story is completely original, or at least I've never read anything like it. The story centers around Tris who is now faced with the decision of what faction to choose: Abnegation the selfless, Amity the peaceful, Candor the honest, Erudite the intellectual, or Dauntless the brave.

    But, Tris has a problem - she's divergent meaning she qualifies for three different factions. Being divergent is something that is very rare and very dangerous, although Tirs doesn't understand why.

    In an effort to discover what it really means to be Divergent and to be fearless, Tris discovers that their perfect society may be falling apart, and it may take everything she's ever loved down with it.

    The story was great. The whole time, I kind of thought it was like 2 stories in one. The story of Tris the dauntless initiate who is trying to learn to be fearless and the story of Tris the Divergent who knows something big is coming and is determined to find out what. Both could have been equally good on their own, but the fact that they were both in the same book intertwining and mixing together nade it even better.

    I expect this to become an epidemic bigger than THG in the upcoming years and cannot wait to read the next book.

    ReplyDelete