Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Post apocalyptic romance novels. Yea! Where haven't we seen that one before?

Minus that, really interesting premise, it reminded me a little of Hunger Games mixed with The Princess Academy, both books which I love. Also mixed with the tv show The Bachelor, which I hate but it didn't bother me as much in the book.

It takes place in the future, where America has drastically changed and is now called Illea, and there is a royal family, and a caste system, and a bunch of things that we don't associate with America.

So just to make things confusing, the main character's name is America, and it was a little hard reading, because every time I read America's name, I thought of the country, and had to remind myself that it was a character, not the country.

So when a prince is eligible for marriage, they "select" one girl from each of the "states" to compete to be the next princess.

The girls can get nasty, and manipulative, which is why it reminds me a little of The Hunger Games, and also because of the futuristic part, also there are rebels and stuff.

So obviously, America gets chosen to be one of the girls to compete for the throne.

The book is really good, it has a little too much romance for my taste (I suggest Rosie G read this because she'll love it) and the main character gets really whiny at the end and I wanted her to just be happy because she was really lucky.

However, I still really like it, and I can't wait for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment