Sunday, April 1, 2012

I Now Pronounce you Someone Else by Erin McCahan

So this book was, interesting I suppose...

It wasn't really my cup of tea, it was realistic fiction about a girl who feels disconnected from her family, since she was young she believed to be switched at birth.

This book mostly follows her through her junior/senior year in highschool.

I suppose if you like romance this might be an interesting book. I didn't really like it, the main character Bronwen was at least relatable and you could like her and emphasize with her, but besides that I didn't find a lot to like about this book.

The writing was pretty decent, for a debut novel anyway. I feel like it could have been a lot better, but in the end it was an okay book, with a satisfying ending.

If you aren't into romance novels, I wouldn't recommend this book.

If you do like romance novels, check it out, it was definitly something that hasn't really been done before.... I think....

PS Rosy G just finished this book and she is going to post something else about it, she loved it, said she cried, so you'll probably get a better opinion for her.

1 comment:

  1. Being the hopeless romantic in our reading circle, I must say of this review that I disagree.

    I thought this was a great book. The story was absolutely adorable, as well as being very realistic. Many times romance stories will just be completely out of this world impossible and they always have the happy-ever-after ending. This ending wasn't sad, but it was real. It didn't make it seem like everything just magically worked out for everyone.

    I also thought it had really good flow. The author stuck the last two years of Bronwen's life into the book, which wasn't very long. I have often seen author's try and write books this way and almost every time it has been detrimental to the story. However, in this case McCahan did a very good job. She moved quickly through parts of little action explaining months in a paragraph because nothing really happened. She didn't do it in a way that felt rushed and the transitions from these quick explanations to the longer explanations of a certain date were really smooth.

    Plus, the story is adorable. McCahan really captured that feeling of being a crazy-in-love teenager and not knowing what to do. Bronwen's concerns seemed really trivial at times, but not in the annoying way that makes you want to murder the narrator of the book. Instead it worked to make it a great escape from things like school stress.

    All in all, I really enjoyed this book, however I do agree that it's not recommended for those who don't like romance, it really has nothing else.

    ReplyDelete